Battling our Epidemic of Loneliness

Eight years ago I wrote my first blog post here. The topic was silos; how cities and towns isolate themselves and competing against each other to the detriment of both - while cooperation would be mutually beneficial. Silos aren't limited to civic strategy and geographic jingoism though. They're everywhere. Silos are easy to create. They … Continue reading Battling our Epidemic of Loneliness

Why Amazon’s Whole Foods Acquisition Will Revitalize Rural America

Friday, July 16 sent seismic shock waves through the grocery industry, as well as any other company on its peripheral. Grocery stocks plummeted and Wal-Mart heirs lost over billions. Friday, July 16 was the day Amazon announced it was buying Whole Foods, regulatory hurdles notwithstanding. Arguably the world's most intimidating company has just gotten a … Continue reading Why Amazon’s Whole Foods Acquisition Will Revitalize Rural America

Creating a College / Community Synthesis

America is obsessed with sports. And nowhere is this more evident than with high school sports. Very often 16 and 17 year olds are the masthead of a community’s sense of pride. How goes the local high school football or basketball team … so goes the collective psyche of the community. This is especially the case … Continue reading Creating a College / Community Synthesis

“What do we do now?” A Civic Call-To-Action!

From way back I’ve been interested in politics. Actually interested may be an understatement. I remember being consoled while crying by the principal in 1968 as a 4th grader in North Dakota. It was the day after the Humphrey/Nixon election and I couldn’t understand why the black constituent in the South side of Chicago didn’t … Continue reading “What do we do now?” A Civic Call-To-Action!

Plugging the Small Town “Brain Drain”

America is obsessed with sports. And nowhere is this more evident than with high school sports. Very often 16 and 17 year olds are the masthead of a community's sense of pride. How goes the local high school football or basketball team ... so goes the collective psyche of the community. This is especially the case … Continue reading Plugging the Small Town “Brain Drain”

Let’s Clean Up the World!

When I started the Community 3.0 project a few years ago my goals was to synthesize community civic empowerment with organic small business development. In doing that I proposed the concept of turning locally owned businesses into a concept I termed "Front Porches." A Front Porch was a hub for informal community gatherings designed to promote … Continue reading Let’s Clean Up the World!

America and Its Exceptionalism

I wasn't going to post anything today, but Dave 'Tex' Smith, a good colleague of mine from Australia posted a wonderful tribute to America yesterday on Facebook. Aside from the fact that I was honored to be called out in it (in a good way) ... it got me thinking about whether or not we really … Continue reading America and Its Exceptionalism